Intro

I’m Holly Pappas (I’ll try to get a short video introduction up soon, if I can get over my stage fright!).

I could introduce myself a lot of different ways.

My twitter profile introduces me this way: “Community college writing teacher, ardent technophile, competent cook, lazy gardener, masterful procrastinator.” I’m a fan of contemporary fiction and, since the year of the Impossible Dream, the Red Sox.

I’ve been teaching English here at BCC for twenty years. Though I got my degrees in fiction writing, I’ve mostly been writing essays for the past decade or so; for the past couple years I’ve been working on a book-length memoir about my experience of mothering and being mothered.

I’m always changing the way I teach this course, and this semester is no different. We’re going to be using blogs this semester, as you can see, both as a central place to store documents and exchange information and as personal writing spaces. Please don’t be intimidated if you’ve never blogged!–it’s no harder than sending an email (though there are a few fancier things you can do). Please let me know if you’re having problems (and we can schedule a time to Zoom or we can schedule another time to meet in person). The other (sort of) different thing about this class is that I’ve organized it thematically, using several themes drawn from the book that has been selected as a common text for the College, with the very timely topic of Notes from Two Americas.

In the pages below, you’ll find some general info about navigating around this course space, understanding the course syllabus, and  setting up a blog of your own…