Some useful websites:
Hot Paper Topics (from St. Ambrose University Library)
NYTimes Room for Debate
Pros and Cons of Controversial Issues (thanks, Laura!)
Click to see suggestions for issues connected to various themes.
- Postmodernism versus modernism? (This is quite a complex issue, difficult to handle in several pages.)
- Should arts programs be cut (or expanded)?
- Graffiti art or vandalism? (or should graffiti artists be prosecuted?)
- How has digital music changed the listening experience?
- Is motion-capture technology (such as in The Polar Express) good for actors, or does it make the actor’s job obsolete?
- Is the internet the death of hiphop?
- What can art museums do to attract younger visitors (or to increase visitors)?
- Will drawing technology (such as drawing apps on iPad, e.g.) make paints (and other media) obsolete? Is that a good thing for artists?
- Should the government provide bailouts for companies that go bankrupt? (an awfully large issue!!)
- Should small towns with many local businesses allow big corporations (e.g., WalMart) in also?
- Does it take a college degree to get a well paying job
- why young adults have a hard time to get used to live with their parents?
- can you really find the perfect person to get married?
1. Breastfeeding–I know a lot of people who think it’s gross and the benefits are exaggerated, but I breastfed all three of my children and I know how natural it is and have really seen the benefits. I’m also interested in researching if there are any known long-term benefits.
2. Stay at home Moms vs. Working Moms–Touchy subject but I know I can get some great information for both sides. (This is a familiar issue–maybe something more narrowly focused on a proposal about how to manage work/family balance?)
3. The benefits from reading to your kids before they can read. This is a great topic for me, I’m very passionate about it!
4. Same-sex parents and the adoption issues, some people believe they shouldn’t be allowed to have kids.
- Can men and women be “Just” friends?
- living together takes preparation for marriage or playing at commitment?
- Do fathers matter?
- teen pregnancy and parenting: how do they react when they know about it? they react good or bad? what goes into their minds?
College Out West,joining the Big East ….How would you organize college athletic conference ……
Should Penn state cancel its Season?
“a fan’s guide to the NBA lockout”
-why were NBA lockout?
-The NBA was closed in September 7, 2011because of ecomancey (not enough money).
-NBA have been missed sixty-eight games since, it seems terrible.
“UFC heavyweight fails drug test”
-why heavyweight used drug?
-they want to more increase their muscle and weight
-Heavyweight fails drug test because they are not succeeded and cannot play fight anymore
-why are people love the NIKE company?
-they feel so comfortable with nike sneakers and good design
-nike sneakers colors style and also clothes
-sports sneakers running, football, basketball, tennis, and etc.
Should you be an American citizen before you s
Who has the best career ? Tom Brady or Peyton Manning
The N.C.A.A Should Diversify? (the N.C.A.A will make over 700 million in TV revenue for basketball tournament this month… ) basketball players are compensated fairly?
- Should the government expand (or cut or change) the use of food stamps?
- Is the world producing enough food?
- Is the spike in wholesale food going to ruin us?
- Do more people depend on cooking from scratch or buying cooked food?
- Could farms now-a-days stay running without illegal help?
- Should you trust the ingredients/ fat content in all foods?
- Are all foods fattening?
- Should the government try to modify what we eat?
- Should the government cut back on farm spending?
- Is it your fault or the foods fault?
- Can anti- obesity campaigns promote health?
- Do doctors look at this as rise’s in their careers or a do
- Should animals be used in scientific research?
- Should sex education be increased in school to help reduce teen pregnancy ? (what are current stats on teen pregnancy? is it increasing or decreasing? why?)
- In California when you have a mammogram , the radiologist reads it right away and if they suspect something the patient can have an ultra sound . Why aren’t we doing the same ?
- Insurance companies should pay for allergy medicine even though it’s over the counter !
- Should men get paternity leave from work?
- Are patients sufficiently educated about generic drugs? (what factors influence whether doctor will write generic scripts?)
- Genetic Research, Bettering the lives of humanity or destroying it
- Should insurance companies pay for IVF? Should there be age limits, or other ethical guidelines?
- Organ transplants , bone marrow transplant
- The care of people at nursing homes (What’s the controversy??)
- Should college be for everyone? Does going to college guarantee a job? What happens to the individuals that are not college material?
- Should students who receive financial aid be required to go to school full-time?
- Should college grads get a break on student loans?
- Student debt, Fool’s Gold? Is it worth putting yourself in a financial hole that you might never get out of?
- College degrees without going to class. How effective are they?
- Should college be for everyone? http://www.nytimes.com/
roomfordebate/2012/03/01/ should-college-be-for- everyone/the-working-class- gets-little-support-for- training
- Should Home-Schooled kids play sports for high school teams? http://www.nytimes.com/
roomfordebate/2012/02/08/ should-home-schoolers-play- for-the-high-school-team
- Will women get ahead by going back to school? http://www.nytimes.com/
roomfordebate/2012/01/11/will- women-get-ahead-by-going-back- to-school
- Are teachers overpaid? http://www.nytimes.com/
- Should the school day be longer? http://www.nytimes.com/
roomfordebate/2011/09/26/ should-the-school-day-be- longer
- Do we spend too much time and money on education? http://www.nytimes.com/
roomfordebate/2011/08/23/ spending-too-much-time-and- money-on-education
- Woman’s Choices: School vs. Children http://www.nytimes.com/
roomfordebate/2011/07/14/ womens-choices-school-vs- children
- Can Young Students learn from online classes? http://www.nytimes.com/
roomfordebate/2011/04/05/can- young-students-learn-from- online-classes
- Should College Grads Get a Break on their loans? http://www.nytimes.com/
roomfordebate/2011/10/27/ should-college-grads-get-a- break-on-their-loans
- What are the benefits of recess? http://www.time.com/time/